Good evening everyone. I wanted to share my new project for next year.
I just bought a 57 Shasta 1500.
Vin c8976 for those of you who like to know this stuff.
The camper is in pretty bad shape and will be a bit of a challenge getting it home. I will need to do some reinforcement on the inside first and a corner of the metal is peeling off.
So why would I buy one in such bad shape. Well I guess I have a soft spot for the Shasta 1500 since my first camper was one of these. Also if I need to do a frame off restoration it may as well be for a camper that is rare and hard to fine.
I guess I will log my progress from getting the camper to the demolition to the rebuild. I have all winter here in Minnesota to formulate my plan.
At a minimum it will be a frame off, new 12 and 110 volt wiring and fuse box, LED lighting, other safety items. The real question will come down to if I put a real camper fridge in or leave the ice box and if I put in hot water like I did my 54.
In my signature I have loaded a link to the pictures I have so far of the camper. She may not be much to look at right now but if it comes out as nice as the 54 or 57 I will be happy.
So why I am in planning mode now is the time for you to give some ideas, input and advice. Just remember I am not new to the rodeo and this will be number 3 for me. So telling me I am crazy will not much effect me.
Everyone have a good night and hope to give you updates as I go.
Today was the big day. I got up at 5:30 in the morning and was on the road by 6. Drove 4 hours to Duluth Minnesota. The guy I bought the camper from was there with his dad and they helped me get the new tires on, stuff taped up and supports put in place for transport. I was done with all of this in 2 hours and back on the road. Got home by 6 safe and sound.
My trip was pretty much uneventful other then a light camper being blown around by a pretty good wind.
Hi everyone, well it is official, the project can start. It took me about 90 minutes to get the axle off and the camper pushed into the garage.
I would have started a couple weeks ago but I spent that time insulating, sheet rocking and building shelving in the garage o I can work longer into the fall. I also spent the day cleaning out the portable garage so I can have some place to put parts. Attached is a photo of the project. The plan is to do a frame off. May the project begin.
Trying to be good and work on the camper some everyday. Todays work:
Cleaned up the inside some, took spare, extra stuff out of the camper and put it in the tent Took off 200 screws , c rail, street side drain rail and corners.
There isn't much left in the corners but rotted wood. One trick I found when taking out screws with the drill, put the screw bit in the screw, manually tighten and loosen the screw if it turns then go ahead and use the drill to power it out. I found if I did this almost 90% of all screws came right out. When I wasn't doing this I stripped out the screws.
Here is a photo of the back of the camper, you can see there isn't much wood left in the corners.