Thanks for the info. I still have a few more springs to tie, but the rest looks good. The problem I'm having is that there were big "balls" of cotton in the two front corners. They seemed to be there for support. The size was approx. 8" diameter but extended down in a rather oblong shape.
It's hard to get good quality materials to rebuild things these days. I know that mine had woven straw/grass pads on the seat and back, mouse magnets...
I also forgot one important item. The foam or top spring cover has to wrap around the frame and into the top spring coil. So it it goes in about 1-3 inches and I would guess the corners had built up because you had 2 sides wrapping into the springs.
The work continues but not much to show or report. Painted the bench frames with a paint to hopefully trap in the smells. I also put the final coat of varnish on the new cabinet doors. So my last 2 big items are sew the and rebuild the benches and put down the Formica. Everything else on my list are small items that don't have to be done before I can go camping.
So there was cotton on top of the straw layer... Makes sense.
that is how it came originally yes.
I have been talking with a bed maker in town and what he recommended was buy a foam skin, you will see the attached picture. (foam skin is the outside layer of a foam block and has a rubber type finish to it on one side. I am putting that layer on top of the springs (hard side down) and tucking it into the springs and then going to hog ring it. At this point we are going to see if this is enough foam and not do anything else on top.) You will also see the frame with the zig zag spring and I will be putting burlap over that then the spring on top of that.
I also got the wardrobe and under microwave doors installed and done last night.
I also got the counter top ready to be glued down tonight.
Not much to report from last night. Got the formica trimmed on the back splash and got one of the bench seat covers ripped apart and laid out on the replacement vinyl. Then a friend stopped over for a beer and my son and fiance also stopped so the rest of the night came to a stand still. Hope to get the vinyl cut today and maybe even a start of it sewed.
Post by ladywendolyn on Sept 1, 2017 20:57:22 GMT -8
That is the correct layering for the upholstery. The batting layer is called just that "upholstery batting" it's made of unbleached raw cotton fibres. When I used to do seats like this we would layer it over springs and we liked it better than the modern Dacron white fibre because we could easily build it up and shape it and create extra padding in the corners like @vikx found. Once you have the shape you like, then I would cover it with one layer of ***** Dacron fibre before the vinyl. The upholstery batting is not expensive. It comes in a round bale with paper around it. It's worth getting if you can find an upholstery supply place near you. If you tell them you are a trailer restorer they will usually sell to you. They also sell the grass matting you mentioned only we don't call it that. I just can't remember the name, it's been a few years since I was doing it full time.
It's looking great Tom I love your choice of colors and finishes.
Here are a couple of photos of the upholstery batting and one of a chair showing the various layers I used in the shop when doing sprung benches and chairs. Only in your case I don't know if you need the thick hair matting or not, and I would normally put more of the cotton batting and wadding than in this photo but it's a good picture exposing the typical layers.
"I don't care how much it cost, I don't care how long it takes. It's a dream and I am doing it right"
Went to the Bed makers shop yesterday to get the springs mounted to the base and before long we had the springs installed and the foam installed and ready for the covers. It was kind of nice because he is an old guy like me and he had 3 - 20 year old kids working in the shop and he was showing them how stuff like this works. Our goal during the reconstruction was a good place for me to sleep since he tells me the 3/4 full will turn into my wifes bed and I will have to find someplace warm, dry and comfortable to sleep. So the bench was made with the thought of sleeping on as well. I hope he is right on the comfort but hope he is wrong on me having to sleep on the benches.
Cut the vinyl this morning and if the wife doesn't have plans for the day may start to sew them. I do have a deadline. We plan to go camping on friday through the weekend. I guess I am going to run with scissors and my first camping trip will be 3 hours away from home.
I'm 6'2"+ 210lbs and my wife is a well built 5'9". When we measure shoulders, we're wider than the bed but we fit strangely well in the 3/4 full with 2 small dogs. Was surprising since our Cal King seems too small sometimes.
Got one bench sewn and put together Calked the counter top and got the metal installed around the sink Wife cleaned the camper, wiped down all the wall, shelfs etc. then put in shelf rubber and then loaded the camper with all the stuff she has been buying.