I was able to get my Shasta decals applied to the front & rear of the trailer. I love the color and I think they look great. Easy to apply...let's hope they stand up to the elements...
I also got the vinyl decals I ordered for the different faded & painted over plaques.
I think they also turned out great. If I were to do it again I'd make the font smaller on the LP Gas decal so it would fit a little better between the screw holes. The brass TCA badge was just painted over. A little lacquer thinner and elbow grease got it looking good.
Again time will tell if these will stand up to the brutal heat & sun here in AZ.
No this "Planet of the Tee Shirts" only does the Shasta stickers I believe. The other place is an online sign, banner, sticker store that has an option to create your own designs / artwork... I'm waiting to see how they turn out before giving them too much of a plug. I'll let you know how they look once they arrive...
I found this site online where you can make a custom decal...for anything you want!!! This is so cool because I'm going to test these out to see if they'll work for the worn & faded & painted over plaques I have on my trailer. Hate to admit these are WAY cheaper than other sources...but the verdict is still out until I get them & see how they actually look. I'll be happy to report once they come in.
Here is what I made up for the replica plaques...They will be printed on high quality vinyl (weather proof, UV resistant) and I'll apply them to an aluminum plate I make up. Anyway here is what the artwork I submitted looks like...
Wilsonart 60 in. x 144 in. Laminate Sheet in Betty Fine Velvet Texture... I believe she's been discontinued. I bought a whole sheet from Home Depot online and had it shipped to my house...fast and easy.
The exterior was a pain in the back-side because the PO had painted the entire trailer (including trim & eye-brows, etc.) in a flat gray latex house paint. You can't sand it off. Gotta use chemical stripper and it was a mess. I did most surfaces when I had the siding off during the re-framing...but still hate how hard this was to deal with.
I used a good automotive seam sealer everywhere there were joints or openings. Then primered with a good high-build sandable automotive urethane primer.
That's not over-spray...that's dust from sanding.
I used a good quality urethane single stage paint. If you go for the fleet colors (chevy white, ford white) you really can get the paint at a decent price. All in - 1 gallon of primer, 1 gallon of chevy-white, 1 quart of orange, hardeners, reducer, lacquer thinner, masking tape, other supplies, I'm at about $300 total for all the paint & supplies. It didn't hurt that I've painted before and had some thin line tape for striping and some very decent painting equipment... but here is how she turned out.
Then I added a little orange to make it stand out.
Here it is with the trim back on, wings included. I also painted the frame, tongue, rear bumper, step with rustoluem "Aluminum" oil-based paint. Brushed it on and it looks very nice as well.
Well, That pretty much brings it up to date. Got to finish the wheels and a few more little items like the Shasta emblem & decals and the outside is done. A few more things inside and we'll be ready to go camping
Last Edit: Jan 12, 2018 7:42:55 GMT -8 by strange1
Outside I built space on the tongue for 2 propane bottles & the battery.
The final look is very nice. I used rustoleum aluminum color oil-based paint for the tongue, frame, step, etc. It's a very close match to what I think was originally on there and it should hold up well.
I bought a mid 60's Shasta that was titled 1972... Apparently here in AZ if you've lost the title you can take it to the DMV and have it titled whatever year you choose? The PO told me he'd lost the title, took it down and the DMV applied a new VIN sticker... My dilemma is going to be trying to reverse what this guy did and get it registered for the correct year.
Interior is about completed. To this point I have a couple of doors to install in the cabinets I built over the dinnette up front & the bed at the rear. But the plumbing is done, the electrical is done, I've installed a very nice under the counter refrig. I got off of CraigsList...new / dented. I fixed the dent and painted the doors to match the over / range. I did a little refurb on the oven / range as well.
It's actually a pretty close color match. The way the sun is hitting it it looks off...but it's pretty darn close.
Got the interior window trim all clean and polished and installed.
I then decided to tackle the door. I knew it had some issues...very squishy near the bottom. I also wanted to install a window. I picked up a great tempered glass window off of ebay that will be the perfect fit.
Turned out very nice. And now I can see who's outside when I'm inside!
Last Edit: Jan 11, 2018 17:10:52 GMT -8 by strange1
The fun continues as the laminate arrived and this stuff looks great. Bought the aluminum trim from Home Depot...had to order but is came in a 8' tube to the store in a couple days and worked perfect.
I also made my own backer for the oven / range. This was a sheet of aluminum I purchased from Lowes and did a little scuff with WD-40 & a scotchbrite pad. Scored lines using the pizza cutter tool for installing window screens and bada-boom...looks pretty good.
Okay...one more for tonight. Once the walls were in and mostly shellacked I started to build the face frames for the cabinets, closets, etc. Here is the lay-out originally...
Except the range and sink are flipped. I'm keeping with this layout mostly. I decided to not build the gaucho...rather make the rear bed a permanent feature. We also didn't keep the bunks. More about that later.
Notice how good that ceiling looks...no water stains anywhere.