To-do still: Install brake controller, plumb the exterior shower and sink water supply (drain and grey water tank are already done), quarter round trim molding in all the interior corners, make curtains (will be hung with painted dowels and Command hooks), mount a mirror somewhere inside, reassemble/install rock guard over window, add a battery-powered LED light above the sink/stove, install a grab handle for entry, paint wheels and jack stands, and figure out a bunch of storage organization things (little baskets/containers/whatever). And paint exterior, eventually.
Last Edit: Mar 11, 2019 13:12:56 GMT -8 by oakback
Thanks! It is 110, from Ikea. We initially didn't want any 110 lights, but when my wife saw this one, she had to have it! Obviously we're not trying to recreate a vintage camper, but liked the idea of having a few nods to its heritage.
It's LED inside the all-plastic housing, and I'm sure you could easily gut it and stick a regular 12v LED light inside it.
edit: It's called Sodersvik, and there are a few versions in the same look.
Some things done. Sink plumbing (cold only, city water only), door stopper, a/c.
I had to disassemble the door to add a block of solid wood for the stopper to screw into. Also the pictured a/c had a short that caused hot skin. So I picked up a new a/c, and added "ground skin" to my to-do list.
Rock guard mostly done. On one arm the spring-loaded pin that holds the panel closed is broken off. I've ordered 2 new arms. If I had known they were only $15 I wouldn't have bothered to clean up the old ones.
Because of the messed up power button and electrical short, I tossed that a/c and picked up a new one, off the shelf at Home Depot. The goal was to get the smallest one I could find. There is very little vertical room to work with, with the size of access door we have. And that's the 2nd access door I bought, the first was much too small (those rounded corners cut into the usable space).
I still need to work with the details a bit. The insulation blocked off the gaps around the edge work well enough, but I think a small gust of wind would blow them out of place. I'm thinking of cutting 1/8" or 1/4" ply wood with some weather stripping around the edges. It needs to fit tight, but also be easily removed.
Also modern window units intentionally collect condensation inside, which the cooling fan flings onto the condenser to increase the cooling capability. There's a removable cap over a drain hole, so I need to remove that and let it drain and dry before packing it for transport, otherwise I get a bunch of water dripping inside. If I leave that cap off all the time, the air is noticeably not as cool.
We recently took our longest trip yet, to Lake Lure, NC, and then to Black Rock Mountain State Park, GA. This was also the first trip with the brake controller installed, which was great to have on the mountain roads. Additionally I had the rear air bags installed, which made a noticeable different in ride quality. Unfortunately they leaked, so I need to readdress those. I probably loosened the hose during installation, it was awkward to get them in there.
The trailer brakes worked great, until the morning of our departure. When applied, there was a very jarring vibration, or more like shuddering, it shook the whole thing. I thought it may have been rust buildup, as it had rained almost every day. I just let it shudder away on down the very steep mountain. I pulled over after exiting the park. One drum was hot, the other just warm. Within several miles it smoothed out, I stopped again after some highway driving, and both sides felt warm. Soon I'd like to pull the wheels and drums and inspect.
This was a small, private campground called "Hitching Post Campground" (not "The" hitching post) a few miles from Lake Lure.
This was site #16 at Black Rock Mountain. A few folks made a point to tell us it was their favorite site in the campground. No sites on either side, and it drops off immediately in the back. Backing in between the retaining wall and the dropoff was a new challenge. I bet it has a spectacular view in the winter when the leaves are gone.
The awning did really well in torrential downpours. I just lowered one pole until it drained freely. Some drips get through the stitch at the awning rope, I'll put some seam-sealer on that.
No leaks inside the camper. I can say I wasn't worried about leaks at all, but that wouldn't mean much if you saw me poking my head in every corner looking for them.
Last Edit: Sept 5, 2019 12:03:28 GMT -8 by oakback