Got the frame back from the shop, new fenders, jack mounted, and new frame support. I forgot to check if chain loops we're added, I'll look when I get back home.
This is the exact width of the entry step, I'll be drilling holes and mounting it with new hardware. I'm not sure if I should put the mounting bolts through the floor and frame, or mount the step to the frame, then mount the floor on separate bolts/holes.
We were canoeing all weekend, but got some work done today. Painted the front of the frame. The rear bumper, wheel centers, and jack stands will eventually get the same color (Rustoleum gloss Lagoon).
Today we also took some detailed measurements of the frame and worked out exactly how we're going to build the floor, how much overhang we'll have, how the wall/floor joints will be, etc. We should have our floor cut and dry fitted within the week. It will be "23/32 BC pine ULX exterior" from Lowe's, coated with the asphalt fence post paint from Tractor Supply.
There were already some holes through the frame and end plate of the tongue, so I drilled those out larger to fit the new grade 5 chain hardware. Cut the chain in half, bolted the halves in place, and torched and sledge-hammered the snap hook on to one end. Getting that hook pinched shut onto the chain was very difficult with just a propane torch and 2 lb hammer, but I got it. I'll do the 2nd one later, swinging that hammer kills my elbow.
Got the floor pieces all cut. Drilled holes in the new metal supports of the frame. Fine tuning the floor pieces and dry fitting, and drilling bolt holes in the wood. Also got the second chain hook on there.
After the floor is all set, we'll pull it off to paint the under side and the mounting holes, and paint the rear bumper. Gotta make the wheel wells at some point along the way.
Last Edit: Jul 19, 2018 17:26:11 GMT -8 by oakback
We've never been quite this motivated on a large DIY project before. Part of that comes from REALLY wanting to be able to camp with a/c, and the other part from knowing what we're doing for once, haha. After working in a woodshop with my dad as a teen, repairing and modifying hobby cars (auto-x and 4x4), and doing DIY home repairs (plumbing, electrical, flooring, etc.), all the skills pretty much fell in place for a camper build.
This forum has been great for filling in the knowledge gaps that remain. I'll have a lot of questions when I get to electrical.
Mowed the lawn, painted the rear bumper, then got the floor and the step all bolted down. 107F heat index made it feel like I did a lot more.
We should have all wheel well pieces ready to install tomorrow.
We'll also cut some cleats (3" wide strips) to support the floor joints underneath, which will even out the slight height variations in the floor segments. After those are coated and screwed in place, then we can glue down the vinyl floor.
No pics at the moment, we had to quickly cover it all with tarps as a storm rolled in.
Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018 17:46:52 GMT -8 by oakback
Seen here are pressure treated 2x2's that will go at the edge of the floor platform, underneath. Immediately behind those are the cleats that will attach at the floor joints, after cutting and sealing them. Also have the wheel wells, it was difficult painting the furniture-grade maple with asphalt paint (these were off cuts from dad's shop).
Painted bumper, and the aluminum sheets that will be riveted to the inner/back side of the fenders, to help keep the bulk of moisture and dirt off the wheel wells.
edit for some random thoughts: the pressure treated 2x2's likely aren't dried enough to paint, so we'll probably cut and mount them as-is, then later paint the exposed sides with the asphalt paint. They need to be on before we can install the walls, and we don't want to delay that. Today we'll install the aluminum splash guard (fender backing, whatever it should be called) and wheel wells, the paint felt dry enough this morning. We've had more than 12 hour without rain, so that's nice for paint. We'll also try to get the cleats cut to length and painted. Then vinyl floor. We're eager to get the floor on. Heck, we're just eager for it all.
Currently the plan for the walls is to mount the outside layer first. With our wall design, it can be built outside-in, or inside-out. But if we did the inside walls first, we could need a bunch of temporary braces to hold it in place. So, outside walls, then electrical, then insulation, then inside walls. Then other stuff.
Cleats cut to size, painted with asphalt paint, and screwed in place underneath. These tie the joints where the floor pieces meet. The floor is super solid now.
We're going to change the floor plan. The kitchen area was on the right side, with storage and bathroom on the left. We're going to move the kitchen to the left (bathroom is gone), and have storage on the right. We're also going to have a full size bed in the rear, not sure what size was there before.
We laid out some tape to get a better feel for it, and see how our sink and single burner stove fit in place.
Over the wheel well will be the fridge, and a/c up at the ceiling (will be on drawer slides).