I removed nearly all the 110V wiring from my camper and stashed it away in the garage as any good hoarder might, using new wiring for the few circuits I added back. Last night, I wanted to use the old copper for an OTA TV antenna I was building, so I stripped off the outer jacket and then the inner wire insulation. In two places, I found the copper corroded and discolored green which can only mean to me that this wire was punctured in at least 2 places in only 5 feet of length. From the outside, I could not find any holes, but the jacket was pretty dirty. If you have the skins off, do yourself a favor and spend the $20 to just replace any wiring you can access...
Last Edit: Feb 8, 2017 13:59:22 GMT -8 by danrhodes
I personally would stay with solid copper. The CCA stuff is bigger in the telecommunications industry where there is a ton of the stuff used. CCA is cheaper due to the relatively high cost of copper, thus the benefit was primarily cost (and environment for the folks wanting to protect certain metals from extinction). Solid copper weighs more so there is some benefit to using CCA on that front as well.
Never ever use or reuse aluminum wire for anything you sleep in. Whether it be a house, trailer or tiny home. It's very dangerous. Remember that just like your metal skin, aluminum expands and contracts with heat and cold. With wire, this means that all of your connections will expand and contract and eventually they will loosen causing arcing. Not good. I lost a 22 foot Airstream due to aluminum wiring. It's just a good thing that it didn't happen while I was in it. You wouldn't believe how quickly a trailer goes up in flames.
God grant me the strength to restore the trailers I can, The courage to strip the parts off the ones I can't, And the wisdom to know the difference...
I believe aluminum wiring was used in trailers and mobile homes from about 1966 to 1972. Some Kit Companions have aluminum wiring. I completely re-wired my 66 and the connections were scary, black and charred. Kenskill is another brand that used aluminum as did a few other brands.
Friends lost two mobile homes from electrical fires, aluminum wiring.
Another trailer to inspect carefully is an Aladdin. They have copper wiring but very short wires in the boxes. The light fixtures don't have much of a box and are usually burnt. Of course PO using 100 watt bulbs didn't help. I rewired an outlet for a lady and it was "iffy" if it could be done. I told her to be very gentle with the new outlet, only low amp draw items. No little heater... Oddly, Aladdins have some of the best wiring and inlets in a vintage trailer, 35 amp inlet with 12/2 wiring thru out. They just missed the boat on ample boxes and wiring length.