Post by wisconsinjoe on Mar 1, 2020 16:14:04 GMT -8
After getting some encouragement in the past somewhere in this forum, I decided to rebuild a door. I had been collecting louver windows and such from mining Craigslist in anticipation of a scratch build using a reconditioned old Jayco frame. I've had trouble finding a good door, but did manage to find one that had everything except the bottom aluminum molding frame, that had fallen away from the rotted door that I salvaged. I had everything else, including a good (but bent) exterior frame and even a perfectly intact screen door.
Eventually, I found a nearby professional camper restorer who gave me a piece of aluminum trim that matched my profile close enough to be usable. I stripped paint from it, worked it straight with careful pounding, and scrubbed it clean to a nice mill finish with steel wool and GooGone. Then I started the re-build, with careful measurements designed to re-use the old door trim and frame.
I built a wooded frame from some clear vertical grain cedar, glued on piece of prefinished 1/4 inch birch plywood, and insulated with pink foam. After the foam glue dries overnight, I will laminate new stucco aluminum (bought locally from a sheet metal fabrication shop), and install the cleaned up trim and door handle (which I just got re-keyed). Also installing a reconditioned louver window from a different, but ruined door.
Post by wisconsinjoe on Mar 3, 2020 13:09:36 GMT -8
Finally finished the entry door. I was worried that the odd piece of trim I found for the bottom of the door would not match up very well. Sure enough, when screwed into place, the angle of the protrusion was off compared to the original trim, and it was also a little longer. I had to bend the piece so I stuck into a cheap (HF) metal brake and tried to bend it. No go. So, I heated it up with a torch, a lot longer than I thought it would take, and put as much force as I could. Amazingly, it actually bent a little. Close enough. Screwed it back on, ground down the imperfections with a Dremel tool, and then added the window frame. Glass pane is out for replacement, so louvers are not in. A little worried about the weight because the original door was mostly foam and 0.24 aluminum. Now it has a substantial cedar frame, 1/4 inch ply inside, and 0.40 aluminum outside. Hope the aluminum frame hinges will support it.
Now I have a shop that looks like a bomb exploded. After a clean up, I'll make a nice screen door, even though the original aluminum one is perfectly intact. Just like wood.
Did you see my video on how I cut that hole using a tin can for the radius??? "Use what you have" ...
I watched the video in the Shasta series but missed your tin can trick. At first I tried a can but instead took the old skin, placed cardboard under it and traced the corner then cut it out and used the cardboard as my guide. I cut it with the multi-tool (leaving a little extra) then hand trimmed it.
Anyone looking for pointers, check out Mobiltec's videos.
I have been working (off and on) on the galley jalousie window for my ’57 Westerner since June of last year along with my front window assembly. The galley window has been disassembled and rebuilt with new screws, cleaned and rescreened. I cleaned it with a sponge with some soap and water and then cleaned again with Alumabrite from Napa Auto Parts and Scotchbrite pads. I went over it with a low speed Dremel and a small brass cup brush on the interior only. The exterior frame was polished just yesterday with Mother’s Mag Polish. I am not going to polish the interior. I want to move on. Gutter seal was also used to seal up any corners/water intrusion points. More pix of the complete window before and after to come.
The images below show only the non drive side of the jalousies before and after.
Joe, your work on that door is amazing. You have some mad skills!! You can be right up there with NCCamper as part of the mad skills team. You too, Larry.
I am not worthy. Although I can build a lot of stuff, it seems everything on these canned hams is new to me. I read, study, ask questions here (Thank you to everyone!), and then sometimes I think of another way to do something. I'm lucky I have a great workshop to work in. And now that we are all hunkered down, we have a lot of time to work on our new camper. Good way to stay busy.
One of the upper cabinets in the Cardinal had some minor cosmetic veneer damage, and since I'm getting ready to replace the adjacent roof work it was now or never. I started just sanding the old veneer smooth to give a good base for a layer of fresh veneer, but it turned out to be easier just to strip off the whole layer and start from scratch. This is why I'm in year three of this not-taking-on-another-project project.