While I have gleaned so much from these forums since my purchase of the Shasta back in December, this is my first post. As much as I tried not to, I had to demo down to the frame. I have built back up the subfloor and have the walls rebuilt and up. I had the wheel wells custom fabricated (as the old ones were rusted out). When installing the wheel wells I realized that they were supposed to be installed between the frame and the subfloor. I got one well installed on top of the subfloor and noticed that there is 2 inches of framing and of course the walls that is exposed wood. My question is, should I rip out the one I have already installed or are there any suggestions for how to protect the wood that is currently exposed under the wheel well?
P.S. The height of the wheel wells do not matter for me as I will be rebuilding the cabinets and sink, etc. so I can adjust the measurements then.
The wheel wells are supposed to have putty under the flange. The wall inside will be OK as bare wood but the under side should be coated.
Black Beauty fence paint from Tractor Supply is a paint on coating that dries as a rubbery seal. Messy to paint but water clean up. You could paint the wood below and coat the underside of the wheel wells. Not sure how it will stick to new metal tho. We also coat our bellies with Black Beauty to protect from road debris and rain.
Since this paint is "goopy", you should be able to seal at the flange. It should scoop right into any gaps. 2 coats make this go easier.
I did put a layer of RV Putty in between the flange and the subfloor and the wall (although higher up the wall). I think I have decided, since I have the walls only anchored on by a couple of bolts and would only have to remove two anchor bolts on each side, that I am going to see if I can't slip the flanges in between the frame and the subfloor. I appreciate your insight and guidance. I'm gonna grab some of the Black Beauty tomorrow and paint the underside of the wheel wells.
There's really no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to wheel wells. Some were plywood, some aluminum and the regular sheet metal. The were mounted underneath (tend to sag), in between the floor layers and on top of the flooring. Depends on the trailer; I usually copy what was originial.
Looking good so far. I have a 65. Mobiltec has an entire build on one like it too. Also check out Strange1 build thread. Mid 60s Shasta build. I did my paint just like his with permission first of course.
The perfectionist in me decided to rip out the wheel well I installed and do it like the original. It was only two carriage bolts and the flanges slid right in between the belly pan and the subfloor frame. I am happy with the way it turned out. Although, I do think I should coat the underside of the wheel well with something.
Thanks nccamper for the recommend.
aslmx...oh man, without Moblitec's videos and Trailer Trash to Treasure on youtube there is no way I would be able to do this. I even did the endboards of the trailers the way mobiltec described in his Shasta rebuild. And the carriage bolt trick he taught. He has been so helpful along with this forum. Because I will be the first to tell you I have NO business doing this. But it has been great leverage to get new tools.
carlculver, truth of it is most of us had no business getting into this, but fortunately we all ignored our inner voices and said "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". Few of us who have lasted more than 2 posts don't regret our foolishness one bit. Look at all the new stuff you've already learned, pat yourself on the back, and carry on. And getting new tools is like 'cake day'.