I've done painted upholstery projects that turned out well, and I've read about painted floorcloth projects, so I thought I'd try painting an awning. Latex paint remains surprisingly flexible when dry.
Sewing supplies: $15
Cable for C-channel: $0
Shock-cord tent pole kits: $26
Upright awning poles (3): $45
My Total Cost: $134 for poles and an awning that exactly matches my trailer. Most of the cost was for the poles.
They main thing is to use latex/acrylic paint with a 'flat' finish because it remains flexible when dry. From what I have gathered by reading tutorials on painting fabric, the higher quality paints have a higher percentage of acrylic and are the most flexible. I used just some leftover latex primer we had around the house for the base coat. I only bought a quart of the coloured paint so I wanted to fill in the weave of the fabric first before adding the colour. For the coloured topcoats I used Benjamin Moore exterior latex and had it tinted the same colour as the paint I used on the trailer which was also a Benjamin Moore product. A lot of the fabric painting tutorials also recommend using a fabric medium mixed in with the paint. I have successfully painted fabric before and not used it. It's quite costly and is used mainly to make the fabric softer if you're going to sit on it or something, for example if you painted an upholstered chair. I figured that wasn't an issue here and didn't use any medium. The awning is currently folded up inside the trailer and the paint hasn't cracked or anything. I guess I'll see how it holds up over time. This really is a complete experiment!
Last Edit: May 16, 2015 14:33:52 GMT -8 by 4sweeper