Post by hoosierpoet on Jun 22, 2013 13:36:02 GMT -8
I'm finally disassembling my '61 Airflyte, it won't need a complete teardown BUT it definitely has rot below the stationary dinette windows. I've removed the drip edge along the seam between the front and side lower sections, and also have removed the screws around the window. The plan is to remove just the lower panel, and repair the rotten framing. My question is, do I need to remove the window glass, or is there a way to do it with the glass in place? Thing is, if I remove it, I'm not sure how I would put it back into place without also removing the upper panel - which I'm trying to avoid. I have my butyl tape and the correct window seal, just not sure how to proceed with the window glass. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
I hope someone who has successfully done this pipes up, but I think you may be best to remove the glass....The screws around the outside edge do hold the aluminum tight to the seal, however, the glass itself is held in place by the strips attached inside. These strips are hidden by the aluminum trim inside. If the framing (even only partly) is rotten, there is a good chance these strips will come loose as well, or will not hold up to pressure when putting the components all back in place and squeezing the seal tight again.
Post by universalexports on Jun 22, 2013 14:04:06 GMT -8
you will have to remove the glass, which is simple,other wise it will fall right down (not out) when the skin is pulled away from it, it will fall down inside the wall, it might not happen right away but the slightest bump it will fall and break ( I know) you can remove the wooden trim strips under the aluminum trim on the inside and the glass will come right out (unless someone has siliconed it in). not hard at all.
Post by hoosierpoet on Jun 23, 2013 19:05:55 GMT -8
Thanks to everyone for the input! I spent the day working on Daisy Mae, removed the front window and rock guard, the lower front skin - AND the street-side dinette window. it came out thru the inside, and was surprisingly easy to do. Found no rot whatsoever under the front window, it looks fresh and clean as the day it was made. I am PUMPED!!! Took plenty of photos, I think maybe I'll start a renovation blog. Will need to rebuild the framing under the side windows and replace the inside paneling there, but it all seems do-able. Tired but happy tonight! It is all starting to come together...
Post by gonekayaking on Jun 24, 2013 13:25:06 GMT -8
Mobiltecs video's that number ten referenced are the way to go, and schweet is right you NEED a template cause these windows are crazy. He uses plexi for his fix, and I did as well. So far I am happy with the result and I don't have to worry about breakage. You should definitely start a blog or restore thread....we can't just have the old threads carried over from the old forum.