The wheel bearings went out on our '63 Oasis. I'm struggling to find replacement parts for this older trailer. I need to replace the hubs as they got so hot they warped. They are drum brake hubs but I'm thinking for this light trailer I don't need trailer brakes when towing with a modern vehicle.
So I'm looking at replacing the axle and hubs. The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5", the axle is about 75" end to end - I'm not sure what it is from hub face to hub face. The leaf spring dimensions are 52.5" center to center. I can't seem to find anything that lines up with all these numbers.
Surely I can't be the only one to replace this on a vintage trailer but my searching comes up with nothing. Any one have any insight? When I look for help on trailer I just get pages and pages of help articles that I don't have time to wade through.
I just replaced the axle on my '56 Dalton this week. Went from a 2" solid square Hadco to a 2 3/8" Dexter 3500lb. It took a little searching but I found one eventually at Trailerparts.com for $188. Note: Spring width is less important as you can get the seats welded on after you obtain the axle, or in some cases, you can specify the width when you order. I ordered mine unattached and brought both the new and old axles to a local trailer repair shop so they could exactly match them up. Also, hub-face to hub-face is an important measurement and is how most axles (I found) are measured. It all made sense when I compared my old and new axles; the spindles were longer on the old axle, so the hub to hub would be different with the same overall length. You have to keep hub-face to hub-face very close or else you risk not fitting into your wheel wells. I'm not sure if your's is straight or has a drop, but make sure to factor that in. Mine has a 4" drop which was much harder to find than a straight. Finally, make sure to measure your springs (assuming you have leaf springs). I purchased a "standard" u-bolt kit and the bolts were too short. My trailer has something like a 4" spring stack which I have learned is "non-standard" and likely made from surplus WW2 jeep springs. Given that your's is a bit later, you may not have that problem, but it is something that did not occur to me until I was lying under the trailer.