Not much progress this last 6 months. Covid hit and put momma and son out of work for 2 months. Put a damper on cashflow and I ended up doing a bunch of side jobs to make up.
Also, gardening season which takes time. Now we're picking and canning.
The good news, our son and his girlfriend have finally gotten their own apartment and are moving out. I'll be able to clean up the shop and basement to get rid of more clutter. I ll finally be able to get into the basement and gather up my cabinet doors and drawers to mock things up.
I did start to plan out the street side kitchen wall
Very slowly. I've gotten almost zero accomplished since August. I keep having to go back to side work because other family members keep getting laid off. Fortunately the only big home project left is wiring for a generator.
We lost power twice for 3 days each in just the last month. Fortunately that's a project I can peck away at in small bits.
Then I get a long holiday weekend in a couple weeks so I can clean up the shop and make room for working again. The camper has become a bit of a storage platform. Grrr!
Otoh the basement is mostly cleared up, the remaining items need to be put in the storage closet, a few items to discard and reassemble the dining set in the finished space.
The house garage is staged for clearing, once the last of the basement is sorted out. Everything gets loaded up to go to goodwill.
Other than the work hassles, we've been doing ok, no major health problems but a couple of scares at the wife's job. My employment has been steady, we support the transportation and agriculture industries.
Egads! 10 months and no progress! The world has been a mess and we're dealing with it as best as possible.
Good news, our tomato harvest has been good though it was touch and go for a bit. Weather was doing a number on our plants but they seem to have recovered and we have harvested close to 250 pounds. Bad news, the same weather issues decimated the cabbage though.
But, there's actually been some progress. We nixed the breakfast bar idea in favor of a double recliner setup. Story time...
So we decided that a comfortable place to sit inside outweighed counterspace and I started to search for a double recliner to fit the camper. Several manufacturers offer them for campers but most were too big by just a couple inches. I did find one vendor that offered one that would fit according to dimensions on their website but emails about details went unanswered. It was ONLY $2200.
Plan B, find a household one to modify. This didn't work out either. I was able to find some that were close and didn't mind potentially rebuilding the sides to narrow them but they were in the $700 1000 range and a little pricey to gamble on.
Lucky break, a neighbor got a new dog that ended up shredding the upholstery on their reclining sofa. They set it out on the curb and I happened by with an empty pickup. A quick eyeball measurement said it could possibly fit. Removing the remaining upholstery and examining the structure said it would definitely fit. I'll have to build new armrests and recover the entire deal but that's not a big deal.
More bad news good news. Our sons old car died, blown engine and not worth fixing. Good news is that the interior was very nice. So the car is going to scrap but iver already pulled the seats out and stripped them of their foam and upholstery. A quick mockup shows I'll have enough foam and fabric to recover the recliners! Even enough to make a padded headboard for the bed.
I'll need to purchase some burlap and hog rings but a weekend of work and fifty bucks should have this finished.
Pictures to be posted later.
I also found a potential source of inexpensive siding, about $1.25 square foot. We're going to pick up a piece to experiment with and see how it might work. You'll roll your eyes at first but I think it can be made to look good.