we just picked up our argosy trailer from PA. the owners used antifreeze in the lines and it's still in there. being new to the trailer and antifreeze in the lines we aren't sure yet how to go about removing the stuff. and how did he get it in the lines without getting it in the fresh water tank? Help please.
If this is the pink, non-toxic, RV antifreeze that you speak of, you can usually just flush the system out with clear water. There are ways to inject it into the system and bypass the tank. The best bet may be to charge the entire system and let it all out of all of the possible outlets.
They sell it at Walmart and I think there are flushing directions on it. The Walmart one tells you to put it in the tank. That's how we did it last winter. I flushed it for a loooong time repeatedly and watered the yard at the same time. Didn't kill any grass or weeds.
LOL kto: Don't put it in the tank if at all possible!!! It's a pain in the arse to flush. Really.
Connect to city water with a 45 psi regulator. Your water heater probably has a bypass, which is a series of valves. Open each cold line and flush (seems like forever) until you no longer see pink and bubbles. Open the water heater bypass and flush the hot lines. The tank will fill, so it might take a while. (open the hot faucet, when it quits burping, the tank is full)
Flush until clear and you're good to go. IF the "PO" put pink in the tank, you will be watering the garden...
Our 20 gallon fresh tank has a drain on the bottom under the camper so I flushed it clear that way and then turned the on demand pump on and ran all the sink, shower, and toilet till they ran clear. Then did the same on the city water with a regulator. Since we have an on demand LP water heater it's not hard to flush with rest on the system, it doesn't have any bypass valves.
I wouldn't worry too much about it being toxic. They use the same stuff in solar domestic hot water systems (propylene glycol, not to be confused with ethylene glycol, the anti-freeze that makes you go blind), and it's "food grade". To get any toxic reactions, you pretty much have to chug it out of the bottle.
Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013 11:17:06 GMT -8 by cowcharge
'76 Shasta 2250 kept in a perpetual state of restoration. That way I don't have to buy any more campers